Monday, January 31, 2011

I went to work just to wash my hands.

We found some water leaking out of a space between our fridge and our cabinets last week. Oh, it must be our fridge, we thought. Hmm, nope, must be coming from behind the cabinets. Jess took removed the cabinets next to the fridge and cut the sheet rock to get a closer look at the pipes. Nope, not coming from there. Behind the stove? Out goes the stove, electrical cover and sheet rock.  Not there either?  Where is this leak coming from?  Perhaps the bathroom next the kitchen. Out goes the toilet, vanity and sheet rock behind it. Weird, not coming from here either...wait a minute, the leak seems to be coming from our neighbors...
In less than half a day, Jess had managed to take apart just about our whole kitchen and bathroom. I just laughed "Wow, Jess, you were just like a crazy little Tasmanian devil that just went through our kitchen and bathroom and seemingly demolished every in its way" Jess did a crazy Taz growl that perfectly fit his tousled poky hair.
Well, our good neighbors didn't even know about the leak because it never manifested on their side but they got right on to fixin the leak as soon as they could, which was swell. It meant couple stretches of no water, but I was glad know the leak was getting fixed. Boy, those stretches made me realize what a luxury running water is. Jess came home one of those days saying, "Sorry you didn't have water babe. I went to work just to wash my hands."
Yeah. Why did I decide to make cup a noodles for lunch that day with my water mug water, the only water I had to spare for that afternoon? Dunno. In a silly dramatic thought, I felt like we were in a such dire situation. No water, no stove, all the stuff from the cupboards on our kitchen table, microwaving the limited selection of food we had in the microwave that was on the ground, vanity in the yard, just a hole left for where our toilet was, a maze of a what was left of a kitchen, damp floor and silly toddler man wanting to check out the rumble at ground zero...so fun. We got water back but the rest actually lasted a whole week.
Can not having a kitchen affect a house wife at all? I underestimated the effects a bit.  I was confused as to why I was feeling so 'off' and moody this whole last week.  I mean, not having a place to cook meals means that you are basically living of quesadillas and peanut butter sandwiches.  I would lightly graze on food most the day, so I didn't think I was really 'hungry'. Guess what folks? Not eating a full healthy meal can really take a toll!  
I'm glad to say that the leak was fixed, water was finally all dried up and Jess worked hard this weekend to mend the aftermath by sheet rocking, plastering and painting our kitchen back to good health.
As far as the bathroom goes, we are considering reflooring/remodeling since, most the of the bathroom has been removed...so that exciting project is soon to come...let us know of any good bathroom sales (tile and vanities mainly)!

1 comment:

  1. Man that sucks...I might have gone a little crazy without my kitchen....I just get grouchy when I have to hook my dishwasher up to the sink and I don't have the use of my kitchen sink for an hour...

    ReplyDelete