Monday, June 28, 2010

Human Development

The rate of growth and development of an infant has boggled the minds developmental psychologists and researchers for centuries. How do these little people learn and grow so fast in such a short amount of time in those early years? Many suspect that surely there must be some 'prewiring' that allows for such rapid understanding of the world around them and themselves..everything from language acquisition to motor development and even understanding fundamental laws of physics such as gravity at such an accelerated speed fills researchers (and parents) with amazement. Is there something innate in all of us that allows for such optimal learning, as if we already understood many of those things and are just rediscovering it?

I kept most of my text books from the college days in hopes that one day I'd actually have time to read them and surprisingly I really do make time to read them once in a while (a little delayed, right?). Plus a Human Development book seems hundred times more interesting when you have a little human developing right before your eyes!

Really, witnessing these rapid developments in your own child I think is even more fascinating. I mean in just the span of about a month Hyrum figured out how to crawl, pull himself up, grew two teeth (three more on the way), learned to say Mama, Dada, learned to climb the whole flight of stairs, learned to shriek like an little eagle...I mean every day he is notably more aware and becoming wiser mentally, physically, and emotionally.

To me, this all encourages thoughts about our Creater and our divine identity as His children. The workmanship of the human body and mind is just magnificent! Within each little human that arrives on this earth is a powerful spirit that once lived with God. A spirit that understood and knew so much! Oh what a marvelous joy and blessing it is to have a little one! I can just look at Hyrum and my heart just sighs with joy. I wish everyone could experience such a delight!

No comments:

Post a Comment