Saturday, September 3, 2011

Second Trimester, you're HERE!!

Boy, I did not weather that first trimester well at all.  I was a train wreck in every way. Perhaps there was a bad combination of events that didn't quite add up to result in a pleasant three months for a crazy pregnant woman...but then again it was that 'glorious' first trimester that very few can escape feeling like it was sunny breeze.

The subfloor of our upstairs bathroom had had water damage for a while and we knew that is was due for repair and remodel but it was a project that never had a good time to begin as time never favors such things. However, once we saw that the ceiling of the downstairs bathroom right beneath it was developing a gaping hole due to the moisture rupturing the sheetrock through, we took that as an indication that the demand for bathroom redo was in place. Despite Jess having a pressing qualifiers test and conference coming up to prepare for, he accepted the challenge.

I was feeling fine in my pregnancy up until that deadly 5-6th week when you realize your body has been repossessed with a psychotic, nauseated, lethargic evil spirit. UUUGgggghhhhh...is how that feels exactly. It was during that time that I had no desire to do anything but sleep, whine and keep the contents of my stomach down that I had a good volume of caricature orders, and graphic design work that came in.  Maybe it would have been fine if I felt normal but all I could do was gag and fall asleep every time I would sit down to work.  I felt so behind, helpless and overwhelmed.

All the while Jess was up to his ear in responsibilities that there wasn't much time or steam left in him to offer much leverage. He would come home from a busy day at school and work eat and head straight to try to finish up the bathroom project.  My job--keep Hyrum out.  I kinda missed my husband even though he was right there. I had to keep reminding myself that I was so fortunate to have such an incredibly handy husband that could tackle something as such.


Ya kinda don't realize the hassle of a remodel into your right in it. Everything gets displaced. The contents of our bathroom could be found in our bedroom floor, so conveniently at reach of a busy toddler. We didn't have a sink or toilet upstairs (still don't) but we luckily have down stairs.  We didn't take showers for a long time but were able to take baths during the shower wall re-tile.

Anyway, put all those things together and mix with pregnancy hormones galore and what do you get? A psychopathic pregnant woman.  Really, did not handle life very well. Everything was the end of me. I cried about everything. Those hormones gave me a coping capacity of zero. Poor Jess got the worst of it.  I tried to be good honey, I tried!  
Pregnancy is living life at the mercy of your hormones, all smells and all food...is how a friend put it and that's really how it felt, just utterly helpless.

Luckily, Hyrum is a such a great age, or I'm convinced that I'm just blessed with a great little dude. He's so full of sweetness and is learning so much, it such a joy to watch. Of course keeping up with motherhood responsibilities and a toddler can be a challenge when you're not feelin hot, but a little innocent bright eyed child can sure lighten up the most dreary of days. Pregnancy does result in more cuties like him in the end to make it worth it.

And now I'm here having reached the sunnier 2nd trimester I feel SO much better!  Wow. It is so great. I want to clean my house (????)and make food and eat it even, I can go to more than one place in the day without feeling utterly drained, and most importantly I'm feeling like I can be a much better wife and mother. YEAH.

Jess and I are both SO stoked for this next little one. It will be sweet for Hyrum have a sibling. Now that I feel better, I'm even more excited. 

1 comment:

  1. Congrats Sariah!!! I have two co-workers pregnant, and both their first trimesters were awful, so I'm glad you made it through!!

    ReplyDelete