"Lets see, did I pack everything?" inquires Jess.
"Er, you forgot to pack me, I could fit in perfectly snug in that duffel bag," said Sariah
Yeah, I wish I could have gone. Truth is, it would have been too tricky to pull it off at this time. Plus, would I have just wandered Ireland myself while Jess was busy with his conference?
Anyway, I'm happy that Jess has the chance to travel and present his research. I guess it pays off to be a nerd and put a lot of brain power into cutting edge research that will actually affect the world. Boy. These bioengiNERDS (as Jess puts it) are so brilliant. I mean I remember going to Jess' undergrad senior symposium back in spring 2009 and just stared wide eyed at all these KIDS (ok, seniors in college, but still SO young!) who were presenting their research and I'd hear things like "Oh, here is a module for a cure for HIV in Africa that I have been developing" and "Here is a Biomechanical characterization of the lung endothelial Glycocalyx." Ok, I have no idea that what even means..
I had just graduated the year before and remember thinking, whoa, I didn't learn ANYTHING in school! What kind of education did I GET? This is the side of campus I should have been on! I told Jess, "I want to be an engineeer!"
"Er..., I don't think you'd really like it"
"Ok, maybe your right, I just want to be smart like you guys"
"You are smart, just in different ways."
Sure.
Anyway. He'll be gone for a whole week. I've been dreading this week of loneliness for a long time, but look, it is already Tuesday and I'm doing ok! Not to say I don't miss Jess terribly, but hey, look no tears yet!
| Jess presenting at the Park City Conference Sept 11, 2010 |

No comments:
Post a Comment