Thursday, January 13, 2011

Hy-larious Hyrum

Hyrum cracks me up pretty good. I just think my kid is hysterical.  It might be just because I get to be his mom and I take a deeper delight in my offspring than the rest but I'm going to jot down a couple of his silly doings whether you think they are funny or not.  At least I'll have something look back on and laugh, maybe not because I it was actually funny, but because of the fact that I actually thought it was so funny at the time.  heh.

Remember the 'shake of the head' syndrome of his?  Well it hasn't ceased much but it is a skill of his that has actually been brilliantly repurposed to other aspects of his life.  Need to wipe your nose Hyrum? Why bother using precious hand muscles when you can just hold up the tissue to your nose and shake your head to smear your boogers all over your face?
How about teeth brushing? No problem, hold the tooth brush up to those pearly whites and shake that noggin for a clean smile.

Speaking of which, this kid is obsessed with brushing his teeth. We've considered buying a tooth brushing timer, not so he brushes for long enough but so he can stop brushing for so long.  Of course, he doesn't care much about dental hygiene, he probably just loves the taste of that baby tooth paste.  Anyway, we've taught him some sign language along the way, including brushing teeth...which maybe wasn't the greatest idea. Guess what he signs all day whenever he's reminded (ie every time he walks past the bathroom)? You got it, teeth brushing...he just wants to brush his teeth all day, that kid. Oh and taking a bath too. That's a lesson taught to never teach him the sign for candy or something.

So you know how he is this supposedly rough tough little guy who is not into cuddling, hugging or kissing much?  Well, I tried this experiment the other day:
"Hyrum, may I have a kiss please?," as I lean my cheek to get a peck.
Hyrum's response: turns his head.
Me: "May I have a hug?"
Hyrum's response: puts an arm out to block my hug and puts his head down.
Me:"Hyrum look at this" as I hold his stuffed monkey, "It is your monkey!"
Hyrum's response: Squeals with delight as he reaches up.
Me:"Give your monkey a kiss and hug.
Hyrum's response: without hesitation he excitedly give the lifeless stuffed creature a big old kiss and hug.
wow. Maybe I just over do it on the hugs and kisses all day long, so when I actually ask for one, he doesn't see the value. Dunno.

1 comment: