Monday, March 7, 2011

Organizing Sariah one step at a time..

Ask anyone one that knows me at all and they will confirm to you that I'm not a very organized person. My mind runs in a very disorganized fashion, very scattered, random and goes about 2.3 million miles an hour. So it is not my nature to keep things organized or intuitively keep things in order as I go. Nope. I don't really work that why, I suppose.  It is not easy being this way because as you can imagine, most of my life I spend looking for my keys, purse, shoes, coat, files on my computer...oh...if I only paid attention to my life once in a while I wouldn't suffer so much.
 So due to my chronic madness, I try to devise ways to help myself out with this problem. See, being this way, I constantly have to make my day as 'think-free' as possible.  I'm too absent minded to consciously put things away or remember where I left things so instead I have to 'train' myself to do things out of routine instead. I stuck a thumb tack right next to the door entrance as a key hook as an attempt to eliminate some of the lost key insanity that happens almost every time I try to leave the house. When I step into the house I try to verbally say to myself, "Now, Sariah, hang up your keys, empty your pockets of your wallet and your phone and put it in one place, like your purse, put your purse on the mantel, put your coat away. After a couple of lessons of that, I will soon be an auto pilot and not have to think about it, as much, anymore.
One thing in my day that took way too much thinking and stress was dinner time.  I would dread it because I never knew what I would cook, I never had the ingredients I needed, I hardly had the time and I was usually too tired by that time to accept the challenge.  This needed to change, so I sat down one day and decided to do something about it. I had heard of dinner plans and I had tried making one right before we had to go to the store so we would get everything for the week, but that was still to much thinking each time.  I decided I need a bigger meal plan that I could make just once, so one for the whole month, at least 30 meals.  I collected all the recipes that I usually made...which I was surprised was only like 10 recipes, wow, 20 more to go.  I only got to like 26, which worked because I calculated that a least one a week I wouldn't cook because of other family dinners or left over. It got more elaborate. I wanted to make sure we didn't have three days of rice dishes in a row or chicken dishes in a row, and also make it easy to know what I needed to get from the store. I put all the recipes in this on a google spread sheet and outlined the following for each recipe.
recipe name
make sure you have (there are ingredients that I usually have on hand)
what I should buy fresh
where to find recipe (i started printing out all the recipes I found online and put them in a binder with the spreadsheet)
meat/starch (so-"C, R" for chicken and rice. I set it up so we'd have at least one vegetarian dish a week)
When my husband saw what I was doing he was so dumb founded to his typically disorganized wife putting together such an highly organized spreadsheet.
Interestingly, I  try to be very organized preciously because I'm so disorganized. Does that make sense?
Anyway, I've been trying to follow it for almost two months now and I have to say it is quite revolutionary for me.  I usually have dinner taken care of before noon by either throwing it in a crop pot, having all the veggies chopped or doing any prep while I still have energy in the day...what a concept.

2 comments:

  1. Great job!!!! Ha ha reading your blog made me a little exhausted, like i had done all the organizing! Sounds like a fantastic plan! I hope it continues to work for you! I am getting so much better at the whole dinner thing too, its nice once you have all the staples down of things you need for certain recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you! It just goes to show that the Lord can help you make any weakness into a strength. Good for you for taking control! I'm a very organized person, and I don't even have a meal plan! I would love to see a copy of your spreadsheet; I've been thinking of doing one on my own.

    ReplyDelete