Sunday, October 17, 2010

Hyrum's big day

So something really sad just happened. I was trying to take some pictures today but I noticed I had ran out of memory. I deleted some pictures that I thought were older and I had on my computer. Guess which date of pictures I erased??!  Oh, I'm so upset with myself about it.  They were Hyrum's  BIRTHDAY pictures!  His first birthday, the only 'memory' he'll really have of that event is gone, deleted, never to exist again. I was quite devastated, to say the least. My first child's birthday party that we so painstakingly put together, vanished from camera memory. Well, what can I do? Not too much now....except for record it the way it was done before photography...writing it down!  Wow. What a concept.
Let see, what can I describe about his birthday celebration?  Uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents, friends surrounded Hyrum to wish him a happy birthday. Halloweenish was the theme: pumpkin pinata, orange plates, spider cakes and cupcakes, popcorn, candy corn, hanging flicking tea lights, hot apple cider, lasagna. When we sang happy birthday he eagerly tried to reach for the candle, so drawn the the dancing flicker of fire.  When time came to blow out the candle, he still tried to just touch the fire. We had practiced 'blowing' but he hadn't quite grasped the blow on demand to extinguish a candle concept. Luckily he had two very eager cousins that love to help out with this very sort of thing.  The candle was blown out and a slice of cake was finally cut out for him to dig in. There was no hesitation getting his hands into the cake and immediately smashed into his mouth. His bulging cheeks were covered with crumbs of the carrot cake and whipped frosting.
Not much later we had the pinata.  It was a pumpkin paper mache pinata that I worried might not break very easily.  I knew the handle would break, which it did very quickly, but Jess' brother quickly came up with a solution to tie the whole rope around it and suspend it that way. It worked. Well, the pinata only last through about 4 small kids before it fell apart.  I'm glad all the little ones at least got a chance.  I believe later the older guests continued the pinata game and kept bashing it blind folded just for fun--even with all the candy gone.

Hyrum opened presents. I was so happy that he was doing so well with all that commotion especially during those evening hours.  He enjoyed so many of his favorite things: cars, monkeys, noisy toys, puzzles, and clothes (ok, that one is more for me).

It was about his bed time by then, so soon after that he went to bed.

Oh I forgot to mentioned that earlier that day he got his hair cut at cookie cutters. It was a bit pricey for a hair cut for a one year old, but I'm glad I did it.  The clippers scared him and his started to cry, but they had plenty of bubbles, movies and lollie pops to cheer him up and distract him.

Also, there was SO much cake left. It wasn't until after the party that I realized that not only did I not even slice then cake and serve it, but I also had three tubs of untouched ice cream left. How brilliant of me. Oh well. I had plenty to share with neighbors.

Well, that was basically his day.  I think he enjoyed it.  I hope he did.  Oh, my sweet little one year old. He really is such a fun, darling kid. So full of silly noises, fun energy, slobbery kisses, and lovableness. I often wonder how I got so lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment